The Hewsons Team
37 years of experience directly involved in the recruitment, management, development and coaching of leaders at all levels via Executive HR roles in some of Australia’s Top 200 companies. Bill has gained a huge depth of knowledge and experience in the successful management of Human Resources, Employee Relations and Occupational Health & Safety through working with top global companies in unique, challenging and difficult circumstances. Bill is our Senior Executive Coach Sydney
Coaching Experience and Organisations worked with
- Extensive professional and executive level experience in BHP and Arrium/OneSteel in manufacturing, distribution, mining and mining services working in locations across Australia, Asia and the Americas.
- Coaching clients include Compass Group, Y Group (NSW), NDW Government (Sydney Trains), GR Mining, MolyCop and Target (Wesfarmers).
- Led and managed OH&S functions in large and complex organisations including extensive direct involvement with DuPont.
Business Experience and Competencies
Bill has 40 years of experience across industries, has participated in business management teams at the highest level, supported Boards and has core disciplines in Human Resources and Safety Management. He has successfully operated his own HR consulting business for over 3 years (specialising in coaching) and served as Director of a large Golf Club. As a result of that experience, he has developed competencies in:
- Quickly being able to grasp the business, organisational, cultural context and challenges of his clients.
- Effectively aligning individual and team leadership and management processes to the needs of any organisation.
- Relating an extensive array of real-life business and people situations to the needs and requirements of the individual and their organisation.
- Incisively aligning areas of potential change and improvement to growth and development in a very practical and hands-on manner.
- Comfortably building trust and confidence with clients which facilitates highly open and constructive relationships and powerful interventions.
- Applying a core set of key coaching attributes including active listening, effective questioning, adaptability to different settings and an ability to get to difficult and sensitive opportunities whilst maintaining a positive environment.
Example of outcomes produced by Bill’s clients are:
- Successfully transitioning senior leaders from management to executive level roles.
- Enabling General Managers to build and effectively apply world class leadership and safety management practises and deliver first tier safety outcomes.
- Supporting CEOs to successfully establish themselves in the role, interact effectively with a Board and deliver strong business and organisational outcomes.
- Developing operational executives in successfully developing and implementing a new business strategy whilst delivering on BAU requirements.
- Confirming a career direction and leading the development of a ground breaking new technology.
- Successfully transforming from severely struggling to being a highly profitable organisation.
“It has been a refreshing alternative to work directly with an executive coach who has the depth of experience that Bill has and his ability to close the gap between theory and the real world is invaluable.”
Brett Allan – GM MolyCop
“… Bill is the most effective coach that I have worked with. He is incredibly insightful and through simple conversation he is able to identify opportunities for improvement. He does not sugarcoat his insights but communicates in a way that is incredibly constructive.”
George Stojkovski – ED NSW Govt Transport
“Bill’s understated and authentic approach allows him to quickly build trust and with that it provides the licence to create appropriate tension in the conversations he has in order to challenge beliefs and change behaviours.”
Rosie McArdle – HR Director Compass Group